Have you heard "Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac"? That song reminds me so much of my Dad.
My Dad is 81.
He is slowly loosing some of his brain capabilities, he doesn't have Alzheimer's. He had a stroke a few years back (actually 2 in a matter of weeks) and now his brain is "Shrinking". The never violent, always calm, caring and sweet man is changing. The only person who he seems to ALWAYS and FOREVER love is my oldest son. They love each other so much, he is the only Dad he ever knew. He is the best Dad a girl could have (actually in his case: 5 girls and a boy!) I keep thinking about my Dad and how sad it is that we are so far away. I want to remember and keep all the wonderful memories and I though I'll make a list of things that are truly my Dad:
* Always help others. My Dad always tries his very best to help others.
* Be forgiving (one that I still struggle with) he forgave people that did him wrong and never looked back.
*Never EVER let someone go hungry.
*My dad always says "My Kids are always going to be my kids; wetter they are 3, 14 or 54 yrs. old" In this age where people just wants to send them off I though it was very inspiring.
* Never ever offend the person you love. Think if that insult that you are about to say is really worth hurting that person, maybe permanently. Words cannot be taken back.
* Be fair
* Value Education. My dad said that an education was his only heritage for us.
*Julio Iglesias! ~ oh, those long trips in the car listening to Julio Iglesia's over, and over, and over.... Love it!
* History is sooooo much better when someone is telling you the tales.
*His favorite saying is:" If your problem has a solution, why worry. If your problem doesn't have a solution, why worry".
*Never underestimate the power of ice cream. He use to buy 2 buckets (the one the ice cream places have in their fridge -5 gallon?) each week for us. Granted he had 6 kids so that was not too much for us.
I wish I could be closer.
I wish he can come more often.
I wish I listened more to his lessons.
I wish I hadn't disappointed him.
I wish he knows he IS the best Dad ever and that I love him dearly.